There are a number of reputable, scientific studies that affirm the premise of music as medicine. Below are the top 5 results from the Google search “scientific studies on the power of music to heal”:
- Harvard Health Publishing
- Medical News Today
- BBC/Science Focus
- Stat News
- American Psychological Association
The search results also highlighted an NPR interview with author Elena Mannes, on her book The Power of Music. Elena is the award-winning creator of the acclaimed documentary “The Music Instinct: Science & Song which explores the power of music and its connection to the body, the brain, and the world of nature.
6 Proven Benefits of Music Therapy:
- Music therapy reduces anxiety and physical effects of stress.
- It improves healing.
- It can help manage Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Music therapy reduces depression and other symptoms in the elderly.
- It helps to reduce symptoms of psychological disorders including schizophrenia.
- Music therapy improves self-expression and communication.
Musicians on Call For over 20 years Musicians On Call (MOC) has brought live and recorded music to the bedsides of patients in healthcare facilities. MOC Volunteer Musicians have performed for more than 850,000 patients, families and caregivers at facilities across the country. Musicians On Call is the nation’s leading organization delivering the healing power of music, serving individuals in facilities ranging from children’s hospitals to adult facilities, VA hospitals and hospices.
Donate to Musicians on Call Directly.